Bible study improves wellbeing
Teleios recently evaluated the effect of a Bible study methods training program on wellbeing in a healthy young adult population within a Christian community environment.
HOW WE DID IT
· Subjects were recruited at a conservative church in Bartlesville, OK.
· The Bible Study Methods (BSM) program was comprised of a 4-step process for studying Scripture including: observation, interpretation, application and integration.
· Following an introductory meeting, the 4 instruction sections of the BSM program were taught
by a trained instructor over a period of up to 5 weeks. The control group was given less
specific information about the Bible.
· The instructors kept periodic follow up with each student to encourage adherence to the Bible study technique.
· At the beginning and end of the program each subject completed a questionnaire evaluating their confidence in Bible study and theological themes related to salvation and general wellbeing.
WHAT IT SHOWED
· 50 subjects were randomized and 46 completed this study:
· 33 were in the active-intervention group
· 13 were in the control group
· When both groups were compared to baseline after the Bonferroni correction there were differences in the active group:
· improved general wellbeing
· improved confidence
· improved ability to study the Bible
Figure 1: Active group significant post-survey responses when compared to pre-survey in response to the statement: “As a Christian my position with God through Christ is”:
· There were also differences in the active group related to:
· improved comfort and security in the subject’s relationship with God
Figure 2: Active group significant post-survey responses when compared to pre-survey in response to the statement “The plan of salvation was created by God”:
WHAT IT MEANS
This proof of concept study suggests that increases in short-term wellbeing potentially can be achieved by a Scripture study program over the course of 4-weeks in young Christian adults.
For a copy of this infographic for your own use please click here.