Teleios and other authors have shown Christian belief actually can improve personal wellbeing! Therefore, we are examining the Christian life in more detail to see if we can uncover some of the potential underlying causes of the improved wellbeing. As a biblical basis for the Christian life we are using 1 Thessalonians 1:5-7.
Here is verse 5:
1Th 1:5 For our gospel came not unto you in word only, but also in power, and in the Holy Ghost, and in much assurance; as ye know what manner of men we were among you for your sake.
Based on the list of Biblical reasons noted in our prior blog about our eternal security, this week we are examining Biblical statements to those who do not believe in eternal security.
The fourth point of our wonderful salvation is that God chose us for himself. Again, this was all God’s doing and not from our own efforts and work. Although some think this doctrine is controversial, let’s look at the scriptures and you can decide for yourself.
· God chose us – God elected us for salvation before all time to come to faith (Ephesians 1:4-5, Ephesians 1:11; Romans 8:28-30).
· The Choice was individual – God did not choose a group, such as the church, but each of us distinctively (John 6:37,44,65; John 10:28-29; 2 John 1:1).
· God’s character – Choosing is consistent with God’s character and past actions. To accomplish His magnificent work on earth He has always had to choose those that would serve Him (e.g., Noah, Abraham, Moses and Israel).
· God dragging and convicting – After choosing God had to convict and drag us to Himself or we would not have come (John 6:44, John 16:8). The Bible uses the imagery here of having to ‘drag’ fish into a boat by use of a net. The fish, like us, do not come willingly!
By our very nature we never would have chosen God, understood Him or desired Him because of our fallen nature into sin (Romans3:10-18, Ephesians 2:1-3). As you know from last week he causes us to persevere. He alone keeps us in His hand and brings us to our eternal glory (John10:28-30, Romans 8:28-30).
Although some think that God’s choosing is unfair there was no other way and scripture says it was done out of love and knowledge (Ephesians 1:4-7). If God had not intervened all would have perished!
God’s glorious salvation accomplished by first free gift on the cross that we can be saved by faith alone not our own work. Every aspect of salvation is God’s, and all to His glory.
To review, to date we have covered now four spectacular Scriptural proofs of our eternal security:
- Direct statements (e.g., 1 Peter 1:4-5)
- Unchangeable positions in Christ noted in our recent blogs especially our: spiritual baptism, justification, sealing by the Spirit and adoption (Romans 6:2-9, Romans 3:21-26, Ephesians 1:5, Ephesians 1:13-14)
- Perseverance (2 Peter 1:12)
- God chose us to salvation (noted above)
Response policy – The purpose of the comment section is to promote discussion that is encouraging, propels the further search of Scripture and raises interesting and thought provoking Biblically related questions. You may feel free to disagree with me in a constructive manner using appropriate language. I reserve the right to remove your comments if they are profane, pornographic, libelous or I do not consider them constructive or consistent with the policy stated above. By posting you no longer own your comments and you are granting me an unrestricted worldwide license to use your comments.
Copyright © 2016 Teleios, Inc. All rights reserved.